A family business from day one.
In 1897, John J. Brennan, a 38-year old mason and son of Thomas Brennan of Shelton, decided to start a masonry and concrete placement business. The new firm, a family business, was named John J. Brennan & Sons and was located in a barn on Cliff Street, behind the yet-to-be completed St. Joseph’s Church. As Mr. Brennan’s five sons grew older and started their families, they built their houses along Cliff Street as well.
An integral part of a growing community.
The new business flourished throughout the early 20th century. Many of the brick factory buildings in Shelton, Derby and Ansonia were built by John J. Brennan & Sons. One of the earliest contracts included masonry work in the beautiful Church of the Good Shepherd on Coram Avenue and Kneen Street in 1905. The Depression years saw a change in the business, directing the firm’s diversification into general contracting.
The influence of war.
World War II signaled a significant upturn in business as the company responded to the need for factories to retool and expand – in order to handle defense-related orders. The John J. Brennan Construction Company (renamed in 1955) remained on Cliff Street until 1967. Later that year, it relocated to White Street and then to its present location on Platt Road. Under the direction of the third generation of leaders, Jack and Bill Brennan, the company built a solid reputation working for many leading Connecticut utility companies and completed many site projects throughout the state. In 1980, Bill led the company in the acquisition and expansion into the gravel and recycling business which has continuously operated on Riverdale Avenue in Shelton. From this period to the present, the company has continued to expand its capabilities and services to meet the growing needs of the greater valley area, and beyond.
Fourth-generation Brennans continue the legacy.
Today, John J. Brennan Construction Company is managed by David, Eric, and Matthew Brennan – the fourth generation after John J. Brennan started his masonry business over 100 years ago. Together they continue to work the business with the same dedication to quality and service that built the company into the business it is today.